South East Europe Distribution System Operators Security of Supply Working Group
Recognizing the essential role of the distribution system operator (DSO) in energy supply, the Southeast Europe Distribution Security of Supply Working Group promotes collaboration among distribution system operators in Southeast Europe to improve their operations and overall system management.
WORKING GROUP OBJECTIVES
- Optimization planning to efficiently accommodate increases in electricity demand;
- Asset management programs to improve the life of distribution network infrastructure;
- Reduction of technical line losses;
- Deployment of Smart Grid Technology;
- Development of business continuity plans to assist electric companies plan for all emergency scenarios that may impact their ability to provide reliable electric power to consumers;
- Development of mutual assistance plans to encourage distribution companies to share staff and materials necessary for fast restoration of service after a significant outage;
- Integration of renewable energy;
- Benchmarking of utility operation best practices
USAID support for the Working Group started in 2013 and was envisioned to be two years in duration, based on USAID funding availability. Based on the project results USAID prolonged the project support.
WORKING GROUP ACTIVITIES:
Working Group members are periodically adopting a consensus based work plan which is consisting of:
- regularly scheduled Working Group meetings held within Southeast Europe;
- Workshops held in Southeast Europe focused on specific best practices;
- Study Tour to the U.S. to meet with U.S. electric distribution companies and other relevant organizations;
- Internships at select U.S. electric distribution companies; and
- Participation by working group members in relevant industry conferences.
The Work Plan supports development of deliverables including benchmarking reports, model codes of operational procedures, model procurement systems, technical analyses and other similar work products identified and agreed to by members of the Working Group.
Distribution system operators within Southeast Europe are eligible to participate in the Working Group. Each DSO may nominate up to 2 persons to participate. Regulators from the region are invited to participate in Working Group meetings as observers. U.S. and European utilities are participating in working group activities as volunteers to share their experiences and best practices.
The United States Energy Association is serving as the Technical Program Coordinator and Secretariat of the Working Group.
The following parties agree to participate in this Southeast Europe Distribution Security of Supply and Emergency Preparedness Working Group within this framework Memorandum of Understanding was signed in 2013:
- OSHEE Sh.a. (Albania)
- HEP Operator distribucijskog sustava d.o.o. (Croatia)
- Elektroprivreda BiH (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Elektroprivreda Hrvatske zajednice Herceg – Bosne (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Elektroprivreda Republike Srpske (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- JP Komunalno Brško – RJ Elektrodistribucija (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- EVN (Macedonia)
- Kosovo Electric Distribution Service (Kosovo)
- Elektroprivreda Srbije (Serbia)